Okay folks, as promised below is my year in Xela, Guatemala, condensed into a select few pictures. Last year was filled with challenges, i.e. my lack of Spanish, lack of funds, and lack of History expertise! However, it was also filled with new experiences, new friends, and new travels. I would not trade the year for anything. I learned so much about myself. I learned I can do without many modern conveniences, I learned the Lord truly is with me in all circumstances, I learned some friends just keep re-appearing in my life, and I learned that there is a much bigger world out there than the USA.
So the pictures below, hmm, lets see. Some are pictures of Guatemalan countryside. There is Lake Aitilan, a rubber finca, Tikal, an active volcano and a dormant one (Santa Maria). There are pictures from an El Salvadorian Thanksgiving and a Roatan Semana Santa. And of course there are pictures of people. There are pictures of some of my students, pictures of incredible friends, and pictures from when Momma Lu came to visit. Lastly, a good time was had by all in Guate as evidenced by some of the more humerous pics below! Halloween saw the creation of "Las Flour Tortillas" Mariachi band; a trip to the Brodbeck's rubber finca resulted in "Marty's Angels"; and of course after visiting well stocked thrift stores the year ended with a "White Trash" tailgate and barbecue.
Overall the year was one of ups and downs, highs and lows, but I am ever thankful for the experience. As a child I never dreamed I would do such a thing, voluteer outside of the US. It only goes to show the Lord's plans are always much better than my own.
Prov. 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Life Lately May 2026
1 month ago

No comments:
Post a Comment