Not only one of my favorite scriptures for this season, but also the one I have most often spoken in public. Everytime I hear this scripture, not only do I flash to how blessed I am to have Christ in my life, but also to good ole "Sonshine Choir" programs. Without fail all years but one, kindergarten through 6th grade, guess what I got to be in the Christmas program? You guessed it, an angel :) My lines were always the same, year after year! I just spoke them a bit louder, got to wear more glitter, and my wings grew as I did. I wish I could find the old photos. During one of my finer moments, early on as an angel, I proceeded to steadily pick glitter off my gloves the entire program. Apparently I was a bit stage-shy. A few years later, my confidence had grown, and I actually got to stand in a chair next to the stable. What were they thinking? Hello! Clutzy Carrie! I distinctly remember some crashing and carrying on during dress rehearsal. And last but not least, 6th grade, my proudest moment, as archangel Gabriel. A flowing robe, lots of lines, and for the first time as an angel (since 2nd grade anyway) no glasses! Yay for contacts!
Moving back to present day, what is not to love about Christmas? The music, food, family, traditions, and focus on Christ, it truly is my favorite holiday. This year, its been a bit tough to get in the "Christmas spirit." Why you may ask? First, the fake Christmas tree, I hate fake trees. However, with the lack of funds, I made myself decorate it, though it is such a scrawny thing. I grew up in a house with a 10 foot or taller (sorry about your ceiling mom!) Virginia pine. Oh the smell, the heft of the branches. All your ornaments are safe, no fear of them crashing. Can't wait to head to CS, sit by the fire, and stare at the tree. By the way, with my glasses on the lights look really cool!
Second, I can't find all my Christmas music. In all my moving, apparently some of them have either gone by the way side or into my sister's cd case. So, I have had to get by with the periodic song on Ruston's radio stations.
Lastly, I hate "happy holidays." I know it is supposed to be politially correct, but so far all but one of my received Christmas cards has said it. It just truly annoys me. However, instead of ranting, I will direct you to someone who says/sings it better than I do: Brad Paisley's "Kung Pao Buckaroo Holiday." Just trust me, yes it is a little cheesy, but for anyone else who is annoyed by the censorship of "Christmas", you WILL laugh.
Okay so enough of that. Everything above being said, henceforth, today I decided to make my self get into the Christmas Spirit. Rather than write my exam for tomorrow, I turned my TV to the XM Holiday channel, put on my apron and got to work. Banana break, chocolate chip cookies, haystacks, yum! and then to further procrastinate wrapped and decorated the food. Now, since I had to sample all before giving it away, the clock finds me up way past my bedtime and playing on this danged computer.
So, to sign off, I will NOT say "happy holidays," but rather "Merry Christmas!" Enjoy this season; I pray each of you are blessed not with presents, but the presence of all those you hold dear.

No comments:
Post a Comment