Sunday, March 1, 2009

The End of the Quarter

Wow, only two more days in this quarter, how the time has flown! I still haven’t completely adjusted to the quarter system they use here at Tech; it is weird to think I get a whole new set of students in a week. So, in honor of the occasion, some funny and not so funny moments of the quarter.

*For their warm-up speeches, one class had us play every variety of elementary game out there…heads up 7-up, I am going to the moon and taking….hangman….you name it!

*The other class simply read trivia and went through a phase of “You might be a redneck jokes”…not quite as entertaining.

*Intercultural class country/cultural presentations: Two guy students and their top 10 list of Russia, #5, Vodka. They then proceed to say, “and we like vodka too,” pull out a bottle and pour themselves shots. One guy takes his, the other takes a sip and sets it on the lectern. (realize the one who took the shot is grimacing, clearing his throat, etc.) I am looking on incredulously and finally laugh hysterically, I couldn’t help it! Then the guy reaches over, picks up his fellow presenter’s shot and downs it as well! Thankfully as they left they say, “Carrie, it was just water! Did you think it was real?” Only in my class…..

*Worst Excuse for skipping my class this quarter: “Miss McCormick, it’s raining and I couldn’t find my umbrella, I think my roommate stole it.” And take note, yes this excuse was from a male student.

*Most unique speech topics this quarter: Persuasive speech, the “Pug-Away” dishwashers, complete with a live demonstration. Informative speech, stage fighting, also with a cool demo. Descriptive speech, the inside of a dragon’s mouth.

*Toughest speech for me to listen to: Persuasive, “Why abstinence should not be taught in schools or anywhere else.” Some of the students laughed, no let me say snorted at even the concept of abstinence. You know, I really don’t want to know what my students are doing outside of the classroom. For me, a firm believer in abstinence, Focus on the Family reader, True Love Waits kinda gal, the whole thing was just sorta hard to stomach. I know everyone has various beliefs and is entitled to his/her own opinion, I am just saying it was very hard for me to grade the speech objectively. It also kind of makes me hurt for my students who have bought into the pop culture’s view of sex.

And that sums up my quarter ladies and gentlemen. Hope you all have a blessed week!
Carrie Mc

No comments: